“A piece of the Transylvanian Renaissance”, in the best sense of the word. From the Korniș fortress, located in Pomezeu commune, there are still some walls and many stories left. Mentioned for the first time in 1594, the fortress is part of the list of historical monuments of Romania.
Even in ruins, the monument preserves, say experts, some of the most remarkable fragments of medieval architecture in the region. Among them are: the frame of a door, two fragments of the frame of windows decorated with rosettes, garlands and shells, all carved in stone.
At the end of the 19th century, Francisc Storno, a traveler passionate about history and architecture, represented the fortress of Pomezeu as a structure surrounded by a defensive wall, flanked on each corner by a small bastion, rather decorative than defensive. His drawing is reminiscent of the Hungarian fortress of Gyula.
Originally belonging to the noble Telegdy family, from the Tileagd area, the Pomezeu domain passed into the possession of the Kornis de Rusca family. Sigismund Kornis de Rusca held, at one point, important positions next to the captain of the city of Oradea. The ambitious character was, in 1621, the second of Stephen Bethlen, who was only 16 years old when he received the command of the fortress. Sigismund Kornis also served as supreme commander of all armies in western Transylvania (Partium).
After the Turkish occupation from 1660, the new masters divided the „pasalac” from Oradea into 4 administrative subunits, one of them having its headquarters in the citadel of Pomezeu.
It is believed that the destruction of the fortification was done in the first years of Austrian rule, after the battles of 1691-1692.
More details on the spot can be found at Florin Buda, +40 767 342 239.
The fortress of Pomezeu is located on the T3 cycle route, “Pădurea Craiului, all-inclusive“.
On the route Oradea – Deva (E 79)
Răbăgani – Pomezeu
On the route Oradea – Cluj (E60)
Borod – Bratca – Damiș – Roșia – Căbești – Goila – Vălani de Pomezeu – Pomezeu
In the center of Pomezeu commune, turn right on the communal road 204. A few hundred meters, after the road crosses the Videi valley, on the right side you can see the ruins of the old castle.